Sunday, January 27, 2019

TOPIC BRAINSTORM

As soon as I think of Fairy Tales I think of Princesses. While I have probably seen every Disney Princess movie ever made I think it's a good thing to broaden my Princess knowledge. The decision to look at Princesses from around the world and different cultures or to just focus on one culture. I read the story The Princess and Her Parties for inspiration and I loved the style of the writing. This story was narrated by the queen. The queen wants to share with her daughter all the advice a mother could give for her 16th birthday. So, she reaches out to other queens all over the world to send the young princess do's and don'ts when going into the dating world. The story chapters are divided by the different queens and their letters. I also liked how the style of writing was very modern and relatable. I think I can learn a lot from this topic. I do not have a lot of knowledge about princesses and queens around the world. Maybe there's a way to incorporate their own traditions into a story similar to this.

Project Idea: Fairy Tale Princesses: Web Link
The Princess and Her Parties, By: Kate Carlton, Web Link
Image Source: Calvin vs. World  


My next inspiration for my storybook is Alice In Wonderland. Alice In Wonderland has so many wonderful characters to choose from and I'm very familiar with the story. I really like the theme of modern day fairy tales. Taking these older stories that have been told for years and years and giving them a modern day twist. This particular story is about a modern day, high school student named Alice. Alice is on spring break and is bored as can be. She's been scrolling on social media all day and finally decides to go outside for a little bit. While she's outside, she sees a White Rabbit and follows it all the way down his rabbit hole. Of course, she has to keep her social media updated, so literally makes a Facebook post while she is falling down the rabbit hole. Alice has the attitude of a typical entitled, spoiled, high school girl and her exploring this new place is so entertaining. Along her journey she meets the traditional characters of Alice In Wonderland and documents everything through her social media.
Project Idea: Alice In Wonderland: Web Link
Alice's Journey Through Social Media: Web Link
Image Source: Wikimedia

The Women of Hercules, Welcome to "Her" Story, was my next story for inspiration. This also followed the theme of putting a modern day twist on these older stories. Welcome to "Her" Story is about a talk show featuring the three women from Hercules's life. Between the three women they give the inside scoop on details and secrets that were left out of the original story. It's a fun and entertaining twist on the traditional Hercules story we have heard for so long. I like the idea of having a talk show host and interviewing the characters. I think that's an interesting approach and I like the variety than just retelling the story.
 Past Storybooks: Web Link
The Women of Hercules, Welcome to "Her" Story: Web Link

Image Source


I am a sucker for pop culture, my favorite place to find celebrity gossip is E! News, so I couldn't resist when clicking on this storybook. E! News Special: Diary Reveal is about the women of the bible and some of their untold stories. The retelling of these women's stories are so insightful and from their point of view. I think it helps me to understand the original stories told in the bible. Reading stories from a different perspective can be a learning benefit and make things more interesting and entertaining to read. This author went into great detail to retell the stories of four women from the bible. I really enjoyed reading this storybook.
Past Storybooks: Web Link 
E! News Special: Diary Reveal: Web Link
Image Source


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Story Lab (Writers Write)

Write What You Care About "Write what you care about and understand. Writers should never try to outguess the marketplace in s...