Monday, April 29, 2019

Week 15: Wikipedia Trail

Earth Day to Cuttle Fish

Earth Day
1969 Santa Barbara Oil Spill
Pelagic Zone
Cuttlefish

I wanted to start my Wikipedia trail with Earth day. I got the idea from looking at the class Twitter feed. Earth Day is April 22nd and celebrated all over the world. It was first celebrated in 1970 when  peace activist John McConnell proposed the idea to dedicate a day to honor the Earth and living in peace. From My first search on my Wikipedia trail being Earth Day it led me to the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill. I was intrigued by the fact that Earth Day was inspired by some pretty phenomenal events. Some of these events really damaged our planet and it's important to actively try to save, reuse, and recycle. The Santa Barbara oil spoil occurred on January 28, 1969. From 80,000 to 100,000 barrels of oil spilled along the Channel and Southern California affecting a lot of marine life. This continued discovery of the environmental effects this spill cause led me to the Pelagic Zone. I am not at all knowledgeable on what the Pelagic Zone is so I clicked on it to learn more. Come to find out "pelagic" derives from the Greek word meaning open sea. There a lots of different depths in referring to the pelagic zone, which brings me to my final wikipedia stop, Cuttle Fish. Cuttle fish are very interesting creatures with eight right arms and two tentacles. They eat crab, mollusks, and fish. So there you have it! Earth Day to Cuttle Fish!




(cuttle fish)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Story Lab (Writers Write)

Write What You Care About "Write what you care about and understand. Writers should never try to outguess the marketplace in s...